Monday, November 23, 2009

Twitter in Vegas: To Tweet or not to Tweet? My, that IS an interesting question!

I am slowly getting on the information bandwagon. It's a struggle, but I'm trying. My best friend finally talked me into joining Facebook after more than a year of saying, "I really wish you'd join!", and it's been a whole new learning experience for me. One of my other friends is now trying to get me to sign up on Twitter, and at this point I'm still resisting.

Why resist? Well, I don't do a whole lot of texting, and I have a fairly simple cell phone that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Oh, yeah - and said phone is not one of the touch screen variety, so typing anything in is a chore and a pain.

What I DO like about Twitter is that I can live vicariously through my on-line friends while they are in Vegas, which is the next best thing to being there, right? It's fun to read their tweets about a great dinner they just finished, or how they're doing gambling-wise, and it's especially nice to see pictures of their recent wins. Gotta love that! But I can do all of that from my computer, so I'm still not sold on getting a Twitter account for myself. I just don't see the benefit for me personally at this point. Like I said, I'm very resistant to change (or having my cheese moved, for you corporate folks who are familiar with that term).

So, should I continue to cyber-stalk my friends while they're in Vegas, or get myself a Twitter account so that I can actively talk to them while they are enjoying my favorite city? It's certainly a conundrum, but I'm not rushing my decision just yet. Like I said, it took me more than a year to sign up for Facebook after my best friend asked me to do it, so I don't think I'll be rushing out and setting up an account today or anything. Sorry, Claire. But I WILL be reading your tweets and wishing I was everywhere with you.

Plus it makes it easier for me to stalk you all anonymously.

Resisting the change until convinced otherwise,
Viva Las Vegas!

2 comments:

  1. I can't answer for your friend Claire, but as someone else that tweets I have to say I wouldn't do it unless I had unlimited messaging with my phone plan and a phone that made texting a bit less then a chore then the older models.

    Regarding joining Twitter, you can join and just use it from your computer to reply to your friend when they are tweeting, it's not a requirement to use one's phone. Personally I find that I miss a lot of the responses to my tweets on my Iphone until I get home and visit twitter on my computer, but that's likely due to me being more comfortable so far with computers then I am with the multimedia cell phones.

    Evoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might add Twitter eventually, but I've already got my hands in too much stuff right now. And, no, I don't have unlimited text - that's my daughter's arena.

    Thanks for shedding some light on Twitter for me, Evoni!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!