Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Booking flights and hotels - tips for finding deals

One of the questions I'm asked most frequently is how I find the best deals for my own personal Vegas trips. The answer is easy: I look early and I look often.

When I start planning my Vegas vacations, I first look at the dates I want to travel and see what makes the most sense for the trip I'm trying to plan. Once I've got the basic time frame down, I start looking at airfare and then my hotel offers (free and discounted) and then start to make my plan. But even at that point nothing's set in stone for me. Now that's a very basic and oblique answer for what I personally do when I plan a trip, but here are some tips and things to remember when you decide to start booking flights and hotels for your next Vegas vacation...or any vacation, for that matter.

Weekend airfare is higher than weekday airfare. If your travel dates are flexible, but you really want to spend a week in Vegas, think about planning your trip from Wednesday through the following Tuesday. Airlines generally discount their airfares on Tuesdays and Wednesdays - followed by smaller discounts for travel on Mondays - and heading out mid-week makes sense if you're trying to save money. You could easily save a couple hundred dollars each way (especially on Southwest, which I use exclusively because I love them so much).

Hotel rates are higher on weekends and holidays. Unless you're comped at your favorite hotel on a regular basis, you'll probably end up paying a higher rate for any weekend dates (Friday and Saturday nights) or holidays you're planning to enjoy. Why? Because a lot of travelers like to be in Vegas for the weekend or for a popular holiday, and the hotel owners know that. They know they'll get the customers they need to fill their rooms without having to offer them at a deep discount. Be sure to check out my post on hotel websites for discounts - you may find a steal!

Booking online for airfare, hotels, car rentals, and shows can save you money. Many sites offer discounts for booking online, booking by a certain date, or booking one of their "in house specials" for anniversaries or room and show discount packages. When it comes to room packages, you can find room deals with dining credits or spa treatments, or buy one, get one at X% off for shows by checking the hotel websites.

Look both ways if you don't get comped rooms. By this I mean look at booking your trip as a package deal through any of the airlines' websites, but then look again at booking each item separately; air, hotel, car rentals, and show tickets can all be found at discounted rates when you search online using individual sites, and you may save more money by booking each item separately rather than as a package deal. Compare the prices both ways before you make your purchase.

Be sure to print your confirmation information for each booking. If you're booking a package deal, you'll only have one confirmation sheet. If you book travel items separately, you'll have a separate confirmation number for each booking. You should keep them with you while you check in at the airline, pick up your rental car, and/or get to your hotel - and definitely make sure you keep your confirmation information for any show tickets you've reserved. In most cases, your show ticket confirmation IS your ticket, and without it you won't be getting in. Having a printed confirmation document will help the customer service representatives ensure you get what you've booked, and it'll be a lifesaver if your reservation is mysteriously "lost".

Start looking early, and don't be afraid to re-book if you can. If it's possible, start looking at airfare, hotel rates, and car rental rates as soon as you know what dates you'd like to travel. This way you can see what the pricing trends are and jump on a good deal quickly if you see the prices going up or down. In addition, if you travel with an airline that offers you a flight credit if you re-book your flight at a lower price, you'll be able to take advantage of the discount for a future trip (or give it a friend or family member to use).

Be sure to look at the fine print on any hotel reservations before you finalize them. Besides the cancellation or re-booking fees that may apply to your reservation, be sure you're aware of any additional fees that are automatically charged to your room, such as "resort fees" or "Internet fees" for certain hotels. But for me, the nicest thing about having comped rooms is that I can cancel my reservation within 72 hours of my trip without any penalties or charges to my credit card if I find a better offer somewhere else or if I have to cancel my plans (God forbid).

The two weeks before Thanksgiving, the week after Thanksgiving, and the two weeks before Christmas are the cheapest weeks for airfare AND for rooms in Las Vegas in general (although this doesn't apply to all Vegas hotels). Why? Because people are usually preparing for their own family celebrations, and they're probably not thinking about taking a trip to Vegas right before the holidays. Holiday airline travel peaks on the night before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day, and the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and then again on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve. Hotels have rooms available and are willing to let you have them for a portion of their usual price...except for New Year's Eve. Forget NYE unless you're comped somewhere if you expect to get a good deal on a Las Vegas room rate, because the rates can inflated to double their usual cost.

Happy hunting!

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't sure where to post this, but wanted to say...
    I really enjoy your blog, so full of information.
    You have my vote for the TRIPPIES!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...thanks, Susan! I'm so glad you enjoy reading it. I really like putting these things together, too, so it's win-win for me!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!