Friday, June 29, 2012

Link to article (and a form): "Long-hauling" cab drivers should be aware they are being watched

A recent VegasInc.com article details the action the Las Vegas Taxicab Authority is taking against cab drivers who try to "long haul" their customers from McCarran Airport to various destinations.  Here is a link to the web article:


Busted!

I am extremely happy to read this.  After two separate incidents where I was long-hauled (once with my mom, but we let it go, and once by myself, and I made a big stink about it because the whole cab ride/cabbie situation was WAY OUT OF LINE), I'm glad to see the Vegas authorities are going undercover to see for themselves what the "tourists" are putting up with.


I have been to Vegas many times over the past 15 years, so I generally know the most direct routes to take to/from most of the hotels, as well as the names of the surface streets that run along my usual routes and which streets are currently experiencing construction; however, many people do not know this information and don't realize what is happening.    Once they arrive at their destination, they may feel they shouldn't address the situation.  Regardless if they are oblivious to the issue or not, NO ONE should have to pay extra for a cab ride than is absolutely necessary.


Remember, if you know that your cab driver is taking you on an unnecessarily long route, you can report them to the Las Vegas Taxicab Authority using their Long Haul Form.  Here is the link to their new website - just click on "Complaints" in the toolbar and select "Long Route Voluntary Witness Statement" to open the PDF file:


Long Haul Form

I actually have a printout of this form that I keep in my carry-on bag.  I reported the really bad cab driver I mentioned above, but I never heard anything back from the Taxicab Authority.  Hopefully they are changing the way they do business, because I have no problem speaking up for myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!