Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Phantom of the Opera - show review


Phantom of the Opera is a 95-minute production show that is staged at The Venetian Hotel on the north end of the Strip. The show's venue was built specifically for this particular production, and the result makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

I was in row HH, seat 8, which is almost dead-center and far enough back from the stage so that I was able to see the entire stage from top to bottom, all the "box seats" for the "audience" that was part of the production, and also enjoy the chandelier rising and falling throughout the performance. This row is considered the front row of the Parterre section, and to me was a perfect seat for this type of show. I don't think I would've enjoyed being more than 5 rows forward, because I would've missed a lot of the chandelier "action" throughout the show.

I sat next to a really sweet older gentleman, Ed, and his 14-year-old daughter, Darcy, and talked with them quite extensively before the show began. Ed told me that it is customary for theater goers in New York City to introduce themselves to one another before a show, and I really enjoyed talking to both of them. Theater patrons everywhere should introduce themselves to their neighbors before a show!

Prior to booking my ticket, I was warned that the theater can be a bit cold, and I briefly considered bringing a shawl or sweater, but decided not to in the end. I think that the seats closer to the stage might be a bit colder because of all the action and the need to keep the area cooler, but I found the temperature to be perfect for me in my t-shirt, dressy capris and sandals. In addition, there is plenty of leg room between the rows of seats, and the seats themselves are comfortably upholstered and big enough to settle into without feeling too close to your neighbors' elbows. The seats and rows are at such an angle that you don't feel as though you are looking at the back of someone's head, and that's a big deal to someone who's only 5'5".

For the record, there were some people dressed up quite a bit, and there were even a few people dressed in shorts at the other end of the spectrum. I'm planning on coming back to see the show again, and I will be dressing up a bit more because I think the theater calls for it with its beautiful details throughout.

The show is divided into two acts and moves quite seamlessly and effortlessly the entire time. In fact, I couldn't remember what songs had been left out of this production, so I don't think you'll find anything lacking in the whole performance.

The chandelier is truly the production's centerpiece - it goes from being suspended above the audience in four pieces to a wonderful attraction for most of the show to a heart-stopping effect as it crashes to a point just above the audiences' heads.

Anthony Crivello stars in the role of The Phantom, and his voice is amazing. On the night I attended, Kristi Holden performed the role of Christine and Andrew Ragone performed the role of Raoul, and they were both fantastic. From the stage to the rafters and down to the Phantom's lair, all three led the cast of dozens in a magical journey that was seamless and beautiful. I was surprised by the use of on-stage pyrotechnics, but they were perfectly placed and a great addition to the performance.

Using a promotional e-mail from The Venetian, I purchased my ticket through a 40% off sale and spent a total of $60 for my seat. It was easily worth twice that, and I look forward to taking advantage of one of the many similar deals that are available through The Venetian's website in the future.

The show is presented at 7:00 p.m. nightly except on Sunday, when the theater is dark. In addition to the 7:00 p.m. show, there are additional 9:30 p.m. shows on Mondays and Saturdays. I took advantage of the later Saturday showing to accommodate my busy Vegas schedule for this trip.

A fantastic show in a beautiful theater, I recommend this show for everyone who's seen another version of it anywhere. It is wonderfully presented and a great performance. It's truly a gem on the Las Vegas Strip.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the production and my experience at The Venetian's Phantom Theater a 9.5. Simply wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!