Sunday, November 13, 2011

Restaurant Review: Breakfast at Mon Ami Gabi (Paris)

Cinnamon Pancakes (crepes) and Sausage - bon appetit!

In case you didn't already know it, Mon Ami Gabi is one of my favorite Vegas restaurants because it 1) is reasonably priced, 2) has patio seating on the Strip, 3) has a view of the Bellagio fountains, 4) serves breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, and 5) has some pretty good French Bistro food.

For my last July trip breakfast, I picked up a $30 voucher for Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris Total Rewards desk the day before to take advantage of some of the cash I was putting on my card through my gambling.  I was told that the vouchers are good for 72 hours, and any unused dollars go back on your card if you don’t use them all.  There is a date printed on the voucher, so if you forget how long you have left before it expires, just look at the slip.

There were only a few people eating on the patio at 8 a.m., so I got a nice, small table next to the railing, looking out at the fountains.  (Note:  The Bellagio Fountains do not start operating until 11 a.m. for testing, then at 3 p.m. on regular days or 12 p.m. on special occasions or holidays, so plan your meal accordingly if you want to watch them while you eat.)  I made this reservation through OpenTable.com a few weeks earlier, and I was able to ask for patio seating when I made the reservation.  They never questioned it and took me right out saying a thing.  Mon Ami Gabi's policy is to never "guarantee" patio seating until you arrive at the restaurant, so I was surprised this was even offered in the process of making the reservation.

I decided to try the Café Gabi coffee drink based on my mom’s recommendation, but I didn’t care for it.  Café Gabi has Kahlua, Amaretto and Frangelica, but it was just too strong and not enjoyable all.  My mom really liked hers, so I'm guessing that I either had a bad cup, or a bartender who didn't know the right combination of liqueurs.  Plus, it’s $8.95 a cup – wow!  Not a very big cup, either, just so you know.

I ordered the Cinnamon Pancakes (which are actually crepes, not pancakes) based on the menu description.  There are four – FOUR! – crepes filled with a lemon glace' and whipped cream, with a fifth, crispy-edged crepe covering the other four.  The top crepe is covered in caramelized cinnamon and sugar and a dusting of powdered sugar, and a bowl of freshly whipped cream is served on the side.  The crepes were delicious!  I ordered a side of sausage to cut the sweetness, but I only managed to eat about half of the crepes and sausages before I was too full to go on.  

With two glasses of OJ ($3.95 each), the bill came to $35.24 + tip.  No need to turn in the remaining voucher!  Not the most expensive Vegas breakfast I've ever had, but without the alcoholic coffee drink and the second glass of OJ, it would have been very reasonable, indeed.  I say any alcoholic drink you've never tried before comes with a risk of not liking it at all.  In hindsight I'd also say that trying a new alcoholic drink at breakfast is not the BEST idea I've ever had.  Still, the breakfast itself was as good as ever, and I give it a solid 9 for ambiance, food and service.

To view the menus, check out their website:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!