Saturday, May 1, 2010

Terry Fator at The Mirage: show review

Part of this review was taken from my March 2010 trip report.

Terry Fator was a new kind of show for me. I’d seen one of his performances towards the end of “America’s Got Talent” (which he won in 2007), but I really didn’t know what to expect as far as content was concerned. I'd never seen a ventriloquist before, and I was just hoping the whole show wouldn't be too corny for me as an adult.

Hayley and I had seats in Section 103, Row LL, which is just to the right of center in the mid-sized theater and about 1/3 from the front of the stage . The cost for these seats was $83 per person using a 25% Mirage discount online at http://www.mirage.com/ and the discount code "MIRAGE". We both thoroughly enjoyed the entire performance. His DJ/dance master was fantastic pre-show entertainment; we loved his take on the “Evolution of Dance”, modeled after the YouTube viral video from a couple of years ago. We laughed throughout the entire show.

It’s one thing to be a ventriloquist, but to be a ventriloquist who can sing through his puppets while impersonating famous singers from every era in modern music? That’s a whole other league altogether. He certainly deserved to win AGT, and he seems to be a very humble and self-effacing man. He welcomes and encourages photos and video taping (not the whole show, but “your favorite parts” as he says), and he includes quite a bit of audience participation. He also donates all proceeds from the sale of souvenirs in his shop to military families, which I think is an absolutely wonderful thing to do.

The show lasts about 1 ½ hours, and the time seems to fly by. Hayley was *almost* the youngest person there: I saw one girl who was probably about 7 or 8 years old, but the audience was made up of mostly middle-aged and more “mature” adults. Children under the age of 5 are not permitted at the performances. No matter the age of the audience members, it was certainly a show for almost everyone, with a few risque comments, but nothing offensive and no foul language at all.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give Terry Fator's wonderful show a 9. It is enjoyable for any age, and I would enjoy seeing it again.

Terry Fator and His Cast of Thousands perform Tuesday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The theater opens at 6:30 p.m.; a full bar and concession stand are located just outside the upstairs entrance. Ticket prices are currently $59, $79, $99 and $129 and can be purchased online at http://www.mirage.com/ or calling 702-792-7777 (toll-free 800-963-9634).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!