Monday, February 1, 2010

Tips for smart travel: A link and some personal thoughts

Blonde, web mistress and good friend from LV4E, found an article on airtran.com titled "Tips For Smart Travel" and shared it with us recently. It's got some great ideas for making your packing work FOR you when you're headed through Security at the airport, as well as information on packing your suitcase in layers to make it easier and quicker for the TSA agents to view and handle. Here's a link to the article: http://www.airtran.com/simplyfly.aspx

I have a few other ideas to add to the list that will help make your trip through Security a little quicker, less stressful, and easier on the TSA agents and other travellers around you:

Wait to put on jewelry until AFTER you're through the security checkpoint. You'll save time because you won't have to remove anything that causes the sensors to go off and be re-scanned, and keeping it secured in a bag or jewelry pouch will keep it all in one place safely.

Wear comfy clothes with easily removable shoes. Clothes that don't have a lot of belts, ties, or other accouterments are best. Also, shoes that don't have a lot of buckles or straps are best, and slip on shoes are ideal. I always carry a pair of socks to put on as I take off my shoes and head through the checkpoint because the thought of walking through there with nothing on my feet just doesn't sound very sanitary to me.

Put any items you think will alert the TSA agents in a separate container. Anything from round-tipped scissors to electrical cords for all of your personal devices should be placed where the TSA can readily identify them. If they have to repeatedly stop the belt to review something in your luggage, it holds up the line. I bundle my charger cords with a rubber band and place them in separate baggies; if they become unbundled somewhere along the way, they won't get tangled with everything else in my case.

Separate items like magnets and special soaps and advise the agent before you walk through. I sometimes pick up souvenir magnets for friends, and they could set off the alarm because of their density. I let the TSA agents know what I have and make sure I place it on the belt FIRST so that they can see the items I'm referring to.

Use a new 1-quart baggie for each trip to avoid contamination. If you travel frequently, changing out your previously used 1-quart bag for a new one will keep old contaminants out and get rid of any residue that may remain from previous TSA handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!