Thursday, April 19, 2012

Buffet Review: Jazz Brunch at The Wynn Country Club

My mom and I had reservations for the Jazz Brunch at the Wynn Country Club for Sunday morning at 11 a.m. during our March Madness trip.  This brunch is currently only offered on Sundays from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Wynn Country Club Restaurant, and regular breakfast service is suspended during this time.

The brunch was mom’s birthday celebration gift from me.  I cannot say enough good things about this brunch; it was a fantastic experience from beginning to end.  It was easily the best meal of our trip and on par with the Jasmine Brunch at Bellagio, even though the menus and experiences are vastly different.  The cost is $59 per person as of this writing, and that does not include any beverages (even coffee or tea).  With two coffees and tax the total was $132 before tip. 

They have a very good selection of Cajun food on their buffet, as well as several items you can order off of a separate brunch menu.  The brunch menu items are prepared fresh and brought directly to your table upon request.  We sampled some great items from the buffet selection already on the table before we ordered from the menu.  
New Orleans Shrimp, Crawfish and Andouille Sausage Gumbo, Red King Crab, Jumbo Shrimp, Andouille Sausage, Carrots and Asparagus


I enjoyed the split Red King Crag Legs, fresh carrots and asparagus, salumi and artisan cheese before diving into a bowl of their delicious New Orleans Shrimp, Crawfish and Andouille Gumbo.  We both could have made a meal out of the gumbo alone because it was very, very good, but we were determined to try as many things as possible.  In addition, I had several pieces of Creole Spice Rubbed Jumbo Shrimp, which were large enough - and yummy enough - to make yet ANOTHER meal on their own.  The Chile Rubbed Turkey Breast was delicious, tender and moist, but just didn't compare to the seafood dishes on the buffet.  The Grilled Chicken and Cherry Sausage was well seasoned and not overly sweet, which is important to me because I generally don't like sweetened meats .  I think the House-smoked Andouille Sausage I tried after that was even better, and I stopped myself from getting a third helping with the last of my willpower.


I requested the Shrimp and Grits from the brunch menu first.  The grits were absolutely fantastic; very creamy, with a delicious gravy throughout, and cooked to perfection.  The huge shrimp accompanying the grits were just as good, and the Creole spices were a great compliment to the overall flavor of the dish.  They are probably the best grits I've ever had, and I would've loved to have ordered another plate of them if I'd had the room.  
Shrimp and Grits - Best.Damn.Dish.Ever!


My mom ordered the omelet of the day – which was made with pepper jack cheese, bacon and green onions – and said it was absolutely delicious.  I declined to take a bite because I was intent on my own selections, but I include it here because she couldn't stop talking about the omelet and liked it very much.
Omelet of the day - with Pepper Jack Cheese, Bacon and Green Onions


We decided we had to try their French toast bread pudding as our "dessert".  It was topped with Vermont Maple Syrup, fresh berries, candied pecans, and applewood smoked bacon.  It was absolutely heavenly, warm, smooth and creamy, and we received a second one that we hadn't even ordered before we finished our brunch.  I think they might have heard us "ooh" and "aah" with every bite, or accidentally gave us someone else's order.  Either way, we ate every bite.
French Toast Bread Pudding - OMG, this is good stuff!


Our waiter brought mom a special mango sorbet with berries and a "Happy Birthday" sign made from white chocolate at the end of our meal, but she broke it when she tried to hide it in her purse and take it with her.  
Happy birthday delivered via a Mango Sorbet
Mom's random desserts I forget the names of.  I think it was a Chocolate Mousse, candied pecans, and some sort of layered chocolate dessert with gold leaf on top.

So I had Chile Shrimp with my French Macaroon and mini banana for dessert.  So what?


We enjoyed live music from the Jazz quartet throughout our meal, and I only managed a couple of somewhat blurry photos of their mustachioed sax player as they roamed throughout the restaurant playing for the diners and generally keeping people entertained with special request songs.
The sax player had a great mustache!  Too bad I didn't get a better photo...


The weather was too windy for us to sit out on the patio, but we saw several people attempt to make it work because the weather was beautiful.  Our table just inside by a floor-to-ceiling window was more than adequate for us to enjoy the beauty of the Wynn golf course and the city of Las Vegas just beyond.
The view of the Wynn Golf Course from our table

Standing on the patio - view of the Wynn Golf Course to the left...

...and view of the golf course and Las Vegas Strip to the right.


I would love to eat here again.  We realized we completely missed the macaroni and cheese, fresh veggies and mini cheeseburgers on the end of the dessert table as we were getting ready to leave, but we were completely stuffed and there was no way we could have eaten anything else.

One note about the buffet/restaurant dress code: it is listed as “business casual/no jeans”, and we took clothes so that we wouldn’t be under-dressed, but there were people in the restaurant wearing pool cover-ups and flip flops.  Of course, they could be high roller children, because they were younger people who were part of a larger group of Brits, but why aren’t restaurants enforcing the dress codes if they have them?  This isn’t the first time I’ve encountered this situation recently; Olives in Bellagio last July was another occasion I found people way under-dressed for the restaurant.


I give this restaurant and dining experience a perfect 10!  It was a fantastic time, and my mom is still talking about it.  I already made her reservation to visit again during her July trip with my cousin, so she will get to enjoy it sooner than I will.


You can make reservations for The Wynn Country Club restaurant through their website Wynn reservations, or through OpenTable.com at their website OpenTable.com.

4 comments:

  1. HM-That looks like "one great brunch"!!!-Must put that on the "To Do" list-with many others!!!!
    Thanks for the great words and pictures!-so glad you and your Mum enjoyed the whole experience!!!
    Thanks again,for you insight,of another Vegas "must"! Chriss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chriss! I think you will definitely enjoy it if you go. The view of the golf course is very relaxing (and great for people-watching), and, with the jazz music in the background, you don't want to leave. I think we stayed for 2 hours. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I've wondered about this buffet.
    If you're not a big cajun fan would there still be enough variety that you would like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Peath, there is definitely variety outside the Cajun food. They have some great meat selections, side dishes and, of course, desserts. Just make sure you try the French Bread pudding - you will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!