Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jasmine Brunch @ Bellagio - April 25, 2010: A Review








Our group - Standing: Terri, Bonnie, Michelle and Tania
Sitting: Lynn, Diana, Robbie and Deann (me!)
Bonnie's pretty birthday present from the restaurant


While planning my April 2010 Vegas trip, I read a message board post by one of my friends at LasVegas4Ever which mentioned a new Sunday brunch in Las Vegas. The Jasmine Brunch Buffet at Bellagio sounded really good, but at $55 per person it also sounded really expensive for my usual Vegas budget. After much discussion on the topic between several members of the board - and after seeing the DELICIOUS photos posted by our friend, Diana, who attended the brunch with her husband a couple of months before - it was decided that it would be a good idea to try the brunch as a group while we were all in town for another LasVegas4Ever meet, as we'd be unlikely to try it individually or with some of our own, less adventurous dining companions.

Diana made an 11:00 a.m. reservation for us and secured a wonderful table by the front windows overlooking the Bellagio Fountains for our group of eight ladies. We arrived almost at the same time and were waiting by the doors before they opened at 11:00 a.m. on the nose. Diana was right at the front of the line, and we were all led to the far end of the restaurant, gawking as we walked. As we made our way down to our table, the Bellagio Fountains came alive, playing the Star-Spangled Banner. What a setting! We were entertained by fountain shows every 5 minutes after that for the entire meal.

For those who don't know, Jasmine is a Chinese restaurant by night (they open at 5:30 p.m. for dinner customers), but the decor is decidedly upscale and English formal. It was a beautiful setting for our little party, and we took turns taking photos of everything from the dishes on the table and the designs on the walls to the food, the flowers and the ice sculpture that made up the buffet displays.

We were attended by two waiters (wait staff? wait persons?), and we were presented with drink menus for their selection of unlimited champagne by the glass...if we wanted it. Before you decide this buffet is not that expensive after all, the champagne you choose is added to the $55 price; same goes for any coffee, tea, or juice you decide to drink while dining. It certainly adds up on the bill, but it was worth every penny. Two of the ladies opted for champagne, while a couple stuck with water or juice and a couple others (myself included) ordered both juice AND coffee. I like to enjoy my buffets with plenty to drink.
The waiters also brought a three-tiered cake stand with a selection of fresh fruit, mini muffins and jams to start off our meal. I didn't try any of them, because I was looking forward to sampling the buffet choices, but I heard from those who did that everything presented was absolutely as delicious as it looked.

We took our cameras to photograph everything in sight before we headed off to get our first plates of food, and our beautiful, butterfly-covered China plates were replaced by white plates with simple gold borders. It's probably better they did this, as I believe one or two of the ladies at my table were thinking of putting a butterfly plate in their handbags!

The buffet selections included traditional American fare, such as omelets and eggs, and more exotic Asian dishes, including Kobe Beef Roulade and Wu-Xu short ribs. They had some of the best cold salads I've ever tried, including the very popular Kalbi-glazed Jidori Chicken Salad (we all want this recipe!). It was all very beautiful, very delicious, and too much for me to try. Another waiter prepared Peking Duck table side for each guest, and although my friend Lynn said that the pastry was a bit too puffy, the taste was still spot-on in her opinion. I had never tried it before and have nothing to judge it against, but it was very good.

Included in the buffet price is the best thing any buffet could ever have, but only a few do: a dessert room! Several tables topped with scrumptious, bite-sized morsels and tiny dessert cups were waiting for us, along with a chocolate fountain and many different dipping options. I could only manage four small desserts myself - yet another reason I will have to go back and try it again!

We were stuffed, but we enjoyed the food, the conversation and the company so much that we stayed for almost 2 1/2 hours. It was a truly enjoyable way to spend my last day in Vegas before I headed back home to reality.

At the end of our meal, one of the waiters brought the checks, and I was surprised to find that they remembered that it was Bonnie's birthday (we mentioned it when we sat down) and included a beautiful Jasmine ornament with her check - so cute!

In the end, the cost for my brunch was $88. That included my coffee and my juice, and the automatic tip for a large party of eight. The cost was the same as one of the ladies who'd ordered champagne, so it was not a bad deal for the total experience.

Before we left, we had one of the waiters take a group photo of us in front of the windows, and we decided that we'd DEFINITELY like to go back and try it again. Plans have been made for another Jasmine Brunch Meet in October, and I'm already looking forward to it with my mouth watering.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this brunch buffet rates a decidedly delicious 10! I would give it more points if I could, because the whole experience was just that wonderful.

To make reservations by phone, call 702-693-7223. The brunch buffet is open from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sundays. There are rumors that the buffet may be extended to Saturdays, too, because it is very popular. I think it would be a welcome addition for the Bellagio, as it is was a very welcome treat for my vacation.

If you'd like to view their complete brunch menu, you can check it out here:
http://www.bellagio.com/restaurants/fountain-brunch-seasonal.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I am a Vegas lover also. I try to go out there at least twice a year. Next Friday night we take off for a long five hour flight from Boston to L. V. You could liken me to a child going to Disney. I love your blog and happen to run across it while looking for The Bellagio buffet prices. I love your web site and will be reading on as soon as I send you this little message. Well I am dreaming of Vegas and I will be there this time next week!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!