Saturday, August 15, 2009

Taxicab "Long Haul" Form - link

Here's a Vegas definition for you that's important to know if you take a taxi anywhere in Las Vegas:

"Long-hauling" - (verb) - The act of taking a longer or out-of-the-way route to arrive at a predetermined destination.

If you read a lot of information about Las Vegas and the taxicab service there, you may have heard this term used before. When a taxicab driver takes you on a route that is out-of-the-way or takes a route that you specifically asked them NOT to take, you can report the driver to the Las Vegas Taxicab Authority on their 'Long Route Voluntary Witness Statement' form. 



Updated 6/29/12: Here's a link to the form from their new website:  Long haul form


Just click on "Complaints" in the navigation bar, and then select the "Long Route Voluntary Witness Statement".  I have a printed out copy that I keep in my carry-on bag and have used it once.
The LVTA is committed to keeping cab drivers honest and providing taxicab customers with a way to get some satisfaction if they feel that they've been taken advantage of.

The best thing to do BEFORE you use this form is to make an attempt to talk with the taxicab driver when you are en route to your destination:

1) Explain that you want to take the shortest route possible, or the route that takes the shortest amount of time.

2) If you are familiar with Las Vegas, give the drive specific instructions on what route you'd like to take (for example, taking Paradise to Flamingo to Koval in order to get to Harrah's instead of going down the Strip).

A cab driver may suggest another route to you; however, as a customer, you have a right to ask them to take a specific route. If they refuse to take the route you ask them to, you can get the driver's name and taxicab # from the front seat where their license is displayed and report them to the LVTA.

Personally, it would take a lot for me to feel I needed to use this form; however, it's nice to know that I can tell them I feel I'm being taken advantage of. My first course of action would be to tell the driver that I am aware that they are taking a longer route so that they can either explain why they took the route or offer to correct it by getting back on track or let me pay less than the fare that is displayed.

Cab drivers who may read this might not feel this is fair, but I have done this before and I don't feel bad about letting the driver know that I'm not happy with the service I'm receiving. They certainly can't expect a tip from me if I feel I'm being taken advantage of, and most cab drivers are concerned that they will be reported to the LVTA and lose their jobs. I certainly don't want anyone to lose their job, but I DO want them to provide me - and everyone else - with good, honest service and to be fair in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog. Please be kind!